Greenland is not member of EU, so your rights depends on your actual travel.
Travel from Greenland to EU
If your flight is cancelled then Air Greenland will book you to another flight. But you won’t be compensated otherwise.
Travel from EU to Greenland
When you are travelling to Greenland from EU, then you have rights under EU rules!
Compensation is specified at different thresholds:
- Type 1, a flight of less than 1500 km in distance.
- Type 2, a flight within the EU of greater than 1500 km in distance, or any other flight of greater than 1500 km but less than 3500 km in distance.
- Type 3, a flight not within EU of greater than 3500 km in distance with the great circle method being used to determine distance.
If you are only travelling from Kastrup Airport to Kangerlussuaq, then the distance is lower than 3500km (3431 kilometer). So remember this if you are travelling to another destination like Sisimiut on the same reservation. Then you will be compensated with the maximum compensation rate.
From Kastrup Airport to Kangerlussuaq = Type 2.
From Kastrup Airport to Kangerlussuaq, and then to Sisimiut = Type 3.
If you arrived at your final destination with a delay of more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation, unless the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances.
If an airline expects a flight to be delayed, passengers are entitled to refreshments and communication if the expected delay is more than:
- Two hours, in the case of a type 1 flight
- Three hours, in the case of a type 2 flight
- Four hours, in the case of a type 3 flight
And the flight to Kangerlussuaq is a type 3 flight.
Cash compensation for cancelation is a payment of:
€250, in the case of a type 1 flight
€400, in the case of a type 2 flight
€600, in the case of a type 3 flight
You can read Air Greenland leaflet with your right here.